Friday, October 13, 2006

Norton may or may not automatically delete tracking cookies

In a previous posting, I had said that you could set Norton Internet Security 2007 to automatically delete tracking cookies. But I'm not sure if Norton's automatic removal of tracking cookies happens at the time they are attached to your computer or when you do a scan of your computer for viruses. When I did a scan after this posting, Norton showed that 4 tracking cookies had been detected and "resolved," but I'm not sure exactly when they had been resolved. I contacted Norton by chat, but they weren't that helpful. They referred me to an old Norton information page that said cookies (not specifically tracking cookies) could be automatically deleted or you could be alerted when a website wanted to attach a cookie to your computer. But the information was for an earlier version of Norton Internet Security and the feature they were referring to was not on the version of Norton that I had.

related posting
StatCounter on its tracking cookies; setting Norton to automatically remove low-risk threats. October 01, 2006.

posted: friday, october 12, 2006, 9:32 PM ET
update: saturday, october 14, 2006, 5:39 PM ET

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats