Saturday, August 12, 2006

"Mood for war" cartoon: Hacked or whacked?

Strangeness on my website.

When I posted a new cartoon today (called "Terror scorecard") on my website, I noticed that one of my previous cartoons, ("I'm in the mood for war" ) had been replaced with an old version of that cartoon that I had deleted on August 5 on two pages of my site and replaced with the new version. This intruder cartoon was noticeably stretched out horizontally also. The new version of that cartoon was wider than the old version which might account for the stretching.

I tried replacing this old version with the new version, but it wouldn't be replaced. I tried creating an entire new page with the new version, but the old version remained. I looked at the photo file of the new cartoon that the url showed was being posted on my page and it was the new version, so I don't know why the old version would keep getting posted.

Finally, I re-scanned the drawing of the new version with a new name and re-posted it and it was ok.

I had saved a copy of my site when I posted the original new version on August 5 and the saved copy showed the new version. I had also replaced the new version with a new new version on August 8 with the minor addition of an ellipse in some of the text, but either I had forgotten to save a copy that day or it had been deleted by someone. I had also posted a new cartoon that day ("giant manatee"), so it seems that I would have made sure and saved a copy of the home page of my site which contained both "manatee" and the new new "mood." I saved copies of my two blogs on which I had also posted "manatee" and the new new version of "mood." I looked at these today and they both showed "manatee" and the new new version of "mood."

So either someone has access to the inner workings of my website and possibly my computer (neither would be a surprise) or I just experienced something extremely unusual.

posted: august 12, 2006, 1:12 PM ET

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats